So, I am very excited to tell everyone about a new product that we carry and display in our product library called Neolith… including the new large format tiles (they will be available in sizes up to and including 60”!!! Wow! (Even more coming soon.)
First, they can be fabricated with 6 different finishes, 3mm to 20mm thicknesses and have several color choices.
What is REALLY Cool:
This material performs! We are talking about a wide variety of abilities with a wide variety of application options.
The Neolith product is like a porcelain composite but uses a technology called sintering which consists of subjecting the 100% raw materials to very high pressures and temperatures. The result is a natural material that is virtually indestructible! This sintered stone is resistant to just about everything, like:
(According to the NeoLith website)
- Resistant to High Temperatures – Does not burn in contact with fire or let of some or toxic substances!
- UV Rays - Since the color is 100% natural, it does not deteriorate due to exposure to the sun or extreme temperatures
- Ice and Freezing - Neolith is not damaged by low temperatures
- Scratch Resistant - Resistant to scratching and abrasion due to the hardness of the surface.
- Light - The 3 mm board is only 7 kg/m² and the 12 mm board, 30 kg/m².
- Waterproof - Waterproof and liquid-resistant. With an absorption level near zero.
- Easy to Clean - Resistant to chemical cleaning agents.
- Hygienic - Does not release harmful substances. Completely suitable for contact with food.
- Suitable for Heavy Traffic - Due to the hardness of the surface.
- 100% Natural - Resin-free. Does not release any harmful substance into the environment.
- 100% Recyclable - Up to 52% of any Neolith board is comprised of recycled raw materials.
- Interior or Exterior Cladding
- Interior flooring
- Wall Surfaces
- Other uses
Check out their website for more details, installation instructions, and technical information.
More cool? Yes:
It is true that there may be some difficulty fabricating the material because it is such a hard substance and the color selections are somewhat limited, but not material will be perfect for every application (though this one comes close!)
Indoor AND outdoor use, so take that large tile all the way from your kitchen to the one on your patio without stopping.
Walls too? Yes! Exterior cladding? Of course! (Just ask Nordstrom how much they love it! http://us.archello.com/en/project/nordstrom-building)
How’s it made?
“It consists of subjecting the 100% natural raw materials to very high pressures and temperatures. The combination of raw materials goes through a press in a first phase where force/pressure of up to 400 bars is applied. In a second phase, the boards are baked in an oven at a temperature of more than 1,200ºC. This way, the Sintering Technology used by TheSize gives Neolith physical and mechanical features which are unprecedented in the construction industry.” - Neolith
*Note: Due to the nature of this material we recommend using trained professional fabricators. Please contact us at Urbanata for more information.
By: Lori Williams
Photo: Urbanata Product Library Image